Saturday, March 15, 2014

Guest Author: Charles Prandy

My Inspiration for writing The Avenged

Many years ago I wanted to be a police officer. I minored in criminal justice, I was physically fit and I studied martial arts. So naturally I felt I’d be a good fit for the force. Then I got married. When I told my wife that I wanted to take the police officer’s exam, she looked at me sideways and said she didn’t want me becoming a cop. Her father was a retired police officer and she saw firsthand what kind of stress police officers deal with on a daily basis. So as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life. I probably could have pushed the button a little harder and argued the facts as to why I’d make a good officer, but in the end if she wasn’t comfortable with me being a cop, it was probably best for me to pick another career field. Therefore I did the next best thing. I created a fictional character named Detective Jacob Hayden that I could live my police dreams through.

I’ve always known that at some point in my life was I was going write novels, and when I did I wanted to write crime thrillers. Living so close to Washington, D.C. and being familiar with the city, I figured D.C. would be the perfect setting for a crime series. Hence, Jacob Hayden was born. Jacob is a homicide detective with the Washington, D.C. police department. He loves his job and cares for his city and has all of the natural attributes and faults of any normal living person. 

When creating Jacob’s character, I wanted to be careful and not make Jacob too much like Alex Cross. I’ve been told numerous times that I have a similar writing style to James Patterson’s, so I didn’t want it to seem as if Jacob was a knock of Alex Cross, even though they’re both African American detectives in D.C. I wanted Jacob to be likeable and believable. Throughout the course of writing, The Avenged, I consulted with a couple of friends who were former police officers to make sure that I portrayed Jacob in the most believable light. Nevertheless, since, The Avenged, is fictional, there are going to be instances where you say to yourself, a real person couldn’t get out of that. 


What inspired, The Avenged? The Avenged is actually a combination of a couple of stories that I had been working on. I wanted to write a story about a sniper who was out for revenge, and I also wanted to write a story about a corrupt judge. When I started playing with the plots a little bit I said to myself, why not mesh the stories together. The first two Jacob Hayden novels were originally going to be the two separate stories noted above, but as I began combining them together, I saw that the story was more complex and creative and there was more wiggle room to create plot twists and suspense. So by merging the two stories together I created, The Avenged.

The Avenged has everything you want in a crime thriller: love, suspense, betrayal, sex, violence, intriguing characters and plot twists. If you haven’t had a chance to meet Jacob yet, pick up a copy and see what he’s all about.

The Avenged



Author: Charles Prandy
Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (May 2, 2012)

Kindle Edition
File Size: 1094 KB
Print Length: 374 pages
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English




About the book:

Alex Cross isn't the only detective in D.C.

A seventeen year-old kid is shot point blank in the chest in the streets of D.C.

A sniper sits on top of a building and aims a Parker-Hale M85 rifle in Dupont Circle.

A prominent D.C. Superior Court judge is involved in a shady business practice.

Jacob Hayden is a homicide detective with the D.C. Police Department. His life is as
great as it's ever been. He's married to a beautiful woman and works in a
career that he loves. All of that changes when he's assigned to the murder of
Melvin Johnson, a seventeen year-old who was shot in the streets of D.C. Upon
arrival, the murder scene looks like the typical drug deal gone wrong, however
the clues tell a different story.

A calculating sniper sits on top of a building in D.C. His rifle is aimed towards
Dupont Circle's park. Through his scope he sees people walk by. His finger
rests on the trigger, just waiting for the right moment. When he's ready, he
takes in a deep breath, steadies his aim, and squeezes the trigger.

Frank Peters is a nearly retired Superior Court judge with a hot temper. From the
outside looking in, Frank Peters appears to be as clean cut as they come.
However, when a business associate is murdered, everything about Frank Peters
will come into question, which only brings out his rage. The last thing you
want to do is be on Judge Peter's bad side.

Follow Jacob Hayden's investigations and see how the Sniper and the Judge are linked to an underground operation that ultimately changes Jacob Hayden's life
forever.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails