Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Guest Author: Terry J. Newman




Greetings from across the pond!
My name is Terry J. Newman, and I'm based in Sussex, England. 
Drayling is my first novel.


It sprang from an idea that's been buzzing around in my head for years. So long, in fact, that I can't actually remember where it came from in the first place.


It's speculative fiction/sci-fi. At least, that's the shelf it's on in the stores - although I prefer to say that it's "futuristic drama", because it just happens to take place in the future. Obviously, it does refer to things that haven't been invented yet, but it doesn't have any spaceships or little green men. One lady commented on one of the websites that she "doesn't like science fiction, but loved Drayling" - which I guess kind of makes my point.


The small district of Drayling, in Southern 25th Century Britain, is typical of communities throughout the country, and its citizens live in harmony and contentment.


Following the death of the head of the national government, however, there is a significant shift in approach - which forces a small group of ordinary people to conclude that they have no alternative but to take radical action to protect their way of life. This is their story.


Not wishing to spoil the read, suffice to say that this is a different kind of "science fiction" book - for the intelligent reader.




To quote from the back-cover synopsis, "Reality collides with fantasy and philosophy as they embark on a mission of suspense, danger, deceit and death - with far-reaching ramifications."


The brief "bio" at the end of the book reads, "The author lives with his wife in Sussex. He is a member of English Heritage, The National Trust, Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters' Club and Mensa."


Prior to Drayling, my published work has been restricted to a few poems and short stories in anthologies and stuff like that. Amongst other stuff, I write topical doggerel for fun. In the same way as cartoonists lampoon topical events in the press, I like to comment on them in rhyme. (But I do get angry when I see doggerel that doesn't scan properly - which is often - so I'm quite hot on that.) Here are a couple of examples from recent years:


Kirsk
We watch as Russia's stricken sub
runs slowly out of air.
It seems there's no priority
to get them out of there.


The outcome, as expected,
is the loss of all the men.
They cared more for their country
than their country did for them.


New Arrival
Hello, my name is VCR -
I'm very sad today.
My mummy's bought a DVD,
so I'll be sent away.
They've taken out my scart and lead,
and placed them on the floor.
Expect I'll die of broken heart -
not needed any more.
But wait, she's set the cable so
he's one end, I'm the other.
My mummy says she loves us both -
I've got a little brother.


I hope you'll read Drayling - and I hope you'll enjoy it.
Have a happy 2012.
Terry J. Newman

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your information!

Related Posts with Thumbnails