Saturday, December 10, 2011

Guest Author: Del Shannon




I hate writing about myself. The next time you’re around a Ouija Board ask it what it thinks about Del Shannon. I’m pretty sure the answer will be ‘Who?’ Each morning when I look into the mirror I see a boring civil engineer with republican looking hair. An uglier, shorter Mitt Romney who’s too cheap to spring for the $6.99 box of ‘Just For Men: Mustache and Beard’ to chase away the gray spreading throughout his goatee.


Maybe this is why I wrote Kevin’s Point of View; the wonderfully addictive story of a 12-year-old boy who hates talking about himself too. Except that Kevin goes even farther – he hates being himself. Because being Kevin means facing the horrible reality that your father was killed in a mountain biking accident, and this is a pain that is simply too heavy to face. To deal with his emotional aching Kevin has developed his imagination into a powerful ally and also a dangerous foil. He imagines himself the superhero Captain Disaster, or a valiant submarine captain, or anyone else he can conjure to escape the harsh reality that surrounds him. Of course this drives everyone around him completely nuts; his mom, sister, best friend, teacher…everyone. 


This chaos goes on for a year after his father’s death, until something odd happens. A strange package shows up unannounced at Kevin’s house one Saturday morning and it contains something so bizarre, so phantasmagorical, so indescribable that not even Kevin’s supercharged imagination could summon it into existence, and its owner (the very evil and very determined Devin Talon) wants it back…now. Inside the package is the Influxitron and what it is or what it does is a mystery. But this small box, no bigger than a television remote control, plunges Kevin, his best friend Tony, his sister and her pizza delivery boyfriend into an adventure and battle over time itself. At the end of this battle Kevin realizes his very existence is because of someone he never expected.


It really is a great book.


But don’t just take my word for it. Here’s what a few others had to say about Kevin’s Point of View.


"I was sucked in from page one. Kevin's Point of View is one of those books I just couldn't stop reading. I had to konw what was going to happen next. There's a lot happening in the book, but Del Shannon weaves it all together wonderfully." 
Kelly Brocklehurst, The Bookscape Report 


"This book is awesome! Kevin's Point of View is a really fun, witty, engaging read that left me both happy and thoughtful. It has plenty of thrills, action, and humor that will have readers of all ages captivated and never bored. This is definitely a book that is worth reading and sharing." 
Aeicha, Word Spelunking 


"I absolutely loved this book. I never wanted to go to sleep because I could not leave Kevin and Tony hanging. I did not want to leave the world that was being painted in my head as I read it. Not only being suspenseful but often times funny Kevin's Point of View makes you want to keep reading and not stop for anything." 
Kathryn at Book Trends 


"A hugely enjoyable read. Mr. Shannon really has a talent for catching a young boy's attention." Austin Reale, Reading Teen http://www.readingteen.net/2011/04/book-review-kevins-point-of-view-by-del.html
"Fun! Funny! Delightful! Heartwarming! It is books like Kevin's Point of View that get me so excited. It is books like this one that truly are what reading is all about to me." 
Tracy, Tracy's Happy Bookshelf 


"Heaps of action, adventure and imagination wrapped up with a surprisingly emotional story line. I was frequently either smiling or staring open mouthed at what happened." 
Jessica Pitcairn, Nayu's Reading Corner


“I truly loved this novel! So far it’s my favorite book this year. I cheered for Kevin and his compatriots the whole way through and at the end I was astounded. Some things were revealed that I couldn't believe.” Heather Rosdol, Buried in Books


"A wonderful and fast paced book. This book was a rollercoaster ride of twists and turns. Please let there be more adventures for Kevin!!!" 
Donna Lawrence, Kids 'N' Books 


Go out and get your own copy of Kevin’s Point of View! It’s available for order at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or just about any bookstore in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and lots of countries in Europe (the book sellers and distributors keep adding more countries all the time and it’s hard to keep up with all the new additions). All you have to do is find your friendly, neighborhood bookstore (or online bookseller), walk up to the very nice sales person (or order form), ask them to order it for you (or fill out the order form yourself), and Kevin’s Point of View will be delivered to your hot little hands. Pretty easy stuff.


Thanks for reading.
Del


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails